Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Random Notes at the Beginning of a Season …

Heroes – Season Two

Aintitcool.com has a headline that reads “Can Sylar save Heroes?”

The answer is, it seems, no.

The first three episodes of season 2 seem resolutely determined to undo all the damage that the ending of season one did – namely kill off a lot of characters and change the entire direction of the program. Unlike the truly twisted twists of “Lost,” “Heroes” doesn’t feel designed to be that kind of animal and now we are finding out just how a heavy story arc can damage a new season of a television program. So, all the characters we thought were dead in the big epic battle are not … and then we have some new characters that seem very, well, uninteresting to say the least.

If it sounds like I’m being harsh, well, I’m not. The new era of television is much improved over the crass awfulness of the 1990’s. I can honestly say I don’t remember a time when TV seemed so good. The shows I watch now are an odd assortment and come from all sorts of places:

- “Heroes”
- “House”
- “Boston Legal”
- “The IT Crowd” (just ended)
- “Sarah Jane’s Adventures”
- “Doctor Who”
- “QI”
- “Dexter”
- “Weeds”
- “24”
- “Lost”

That’s actually quite a bit for right now and are in no particular order. Compare that to the 1990s when I was actively avoiding shows because I found them particularly crass and aggravating. Even the end of the 80s saw even my favorite shows (“Doctor Who” and “Star Trek”) bastardized and cheapened to extremes. In fact, with the death of the Next and Previous Generations of the original Star Trek, it seems that some cool breeze is blowing back into the world of entertainment.

So, that is my ramble. I didn’t give away any “spoilers” as such.

1 comment:

lee said...

Heroes -missed it last week while reading your book -didn't want to put telly on due to storm.The story line with the..mexicans...is it? Anyway-who ever they are they give me the shits. That's the only way to put it -they're taking up screen time as far as I'm concerned.