Monday, November 12, 2007

Stanley Kubrick - Warner Home Video Directors Series




10/10 for style plus several million for good thinking …

Finally, at long last, anamorphic letter-boxed versions of some of the greatest films ever made. Kubrick is such an easy director to say, “Yeah, he’s a genius” and sound like you know something. But, as we all know, he really was a genius and left us some of the best films ever made.

The problem is these films are all so deep and open to interpretation that I cannot in all objectivity review them adequately. I’ll just give you my thoughts this time around.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – What is astonishing about this film (and really, what isn’t) to me this last time round was the massive scale of the story. The obelisk (or teaching device) for the primitives in the opening dawn of time sequence is shadowing the human race to the point of contact. In this viewing, I felt that Dave had to pass the test of defeating the machine Hal in order to evolve into the next stage (the starchild.) Bowman in that sense is playing a character who is the most evolved human on the planet.

Of course, every time I watch this film I think different things. The pity now is that the first space shots tend to a look a little 2-d and the styles seem a bit stuck in the mid-60s, while the later Jupiter sequences look as if they could have been shot yesterday. The models have more depth and the fact that everything in the Discovery looks brand new.


A Clockwork Orange (1971) – As Malcolm McDowell himself says, there are some roles that an actor was born to play (that is Alex.) He is perfection itself in this role.

Of course, everyone knows this is a pretty controversial film. It is difficult to watch, but funny at the same time. I noticed this about 20 years ago the first time I saw it. I wondered why these scenes of horrible rape and violence seemed so funny … and that was the first time I realized that film could manipulate your feelings subconsciously. If Alex wasn’t doing “Singing in the Rain” while commiting what has to be one of the most horrendous acts ever depicted on screen, you would never watch it. Then, in the later half of the film, when justice is being served, in a reversal, Kubrick uses music make us feel bad for Alex. Alex the rapist, murderer, and theif.

This is a film more about what film can do to you then it is about the subject of teen violence. This must have been its intent because when Clockwork copycat style violence started erupting in England, Kubrick pulled the film from release. Clearly he'd created a monster.


The Shining (1980) – "Here's Johnny!"

Jack! Very few times in the history of Kubrick’s films do his lead actors seem to overtake his virtuosity. Jack Nicholson really goes way over the top in this and creates his most amazing movie role (which is saying a lot.) I don’t like horror movies. They don’t scare me; they don’t do anything to me. But, there are a few exceptions – mainly this and Psycho. Sort of the same idea – madness. Jack tears this movie to shreds just like that bathroom door.

Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, and Scatman Crothers (oh, Scatman!) are brilliant as well, but ... frankly, it is close to impossible to take your eyes off Nicholson.


Full Metal Jacket (1987) – I will admit that Full Metal Jacket did very little for me back when it was first out. I saw it because it was a Kubrick film, but I was in the middle of the “Platoon” Vs. “Apocalypse Now” argument (me coming down firmly on AN as the better film) and having yet another Vietnam movie come out just didn’t sit well with me. Add to that the obvious fact that it was shot in England and no where near the tropics, and you have a tough one to get through.

Upon this second viewing, I was pretty stunned by how good it actually was. The two “episode” feeling you get between the Paris Island basic training sequence and the subsequent “all hell is breaking loose” Vietnam was pretty shocking. Not being in the military, I was surprised at how loose these guys were after basic. You would have thought they’d be wound really tight. But, war is hell, I guess.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) – I hate to dismiss this out of hand, but I do really feel this is a terrible film. Probably because Cruise and Kidman seem to dominate the thing so totally, that I find it hard to see the hand of Kubrick in it at all. Add to that the completely ludicrous middle section (the gothic sex orgy), excessive though not sexy nudity, and the murkiness of the character’s actions and you get something mildly uninteresting. I did give it my full attention this time through, but still felt it was far and away Kubrick’s worst film.

This is an excellent box set. Everything looks incredible and, for the fan, the bonus features are well worth the extra time.

No comments: