Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Strange Days

Currently reading “Break on Through: The Life and Death of Jim Morrison” by James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky.



Yet another biography of Jim Morrison. I know, I know. I read “No One Here Gets Out Alive,” I’ve read Desnmore’s book, and I’ve read the not too great “Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend” by Stephen Davis. I even have, but haven’t fully read, Manzarek’s rather biased book. So, why bother digging into the very old story of the Lizard King again? What’s new? He’s still dead.

Well, I guess that depends on where you stand with old Jimbo. Frankly, the Doors are a band you either love or hate. Seems to be no middle ground with them. It all comes down to Jim. And, the authors – after a very long and frankly fictional account of Jim’s trial by fire on the rooftop after UCLA film school (or his “dance with the spirits”) – admit that he was a dual personality and split opinions right down the middle. The minute the Doors hit the scene that was the case. Those that hate the band tend to do so on very superficial grounds (Jim’s looks, the dated organ sound, the pretentious poetry.) The fact is they aren’t that bad. Those that love the band tend to go with flights of outrageous fancy (electric shamanism, possessed by ghosts of dead Indians.) The fact is … they weren’t that great (cause its absurd.)

Finding the middle ground and the true facts about the Doors and Jim Morrison is difficult if not impossible based on the lies and mythos applied to them by these various factions. But, one thing is totally clear – 40 years after appearing on the music scene The Doors are still one of the biggest American rock bands of all time. The music, if you like it, is so strange and dramatic that it often seems hard to believe that the band weren’t created by a super-manager. In fact, they luck factor and reliance on “vibe” or whatever is so prevelant within the groups formation and their sound that it isn’t any wonder why fans often ascribe supernatural qualities to the Doors and, in particular, Jim Morrison … who, it must be said, is the absolute perfect frontman for any band.

Riordan and Prochnicky seem to be doing a good job of balancing the yin and yang of the Morrison myth and fact. I read a good chunk of this last night while listening to the newest archive concert recording “Live in Boston.”




Recorded in 1970 during the many recorded gigs for the “Absolutely Live” album (which means, though it was Absolutely Live … it wasn’t absolutely the same show) many bits clearly are taken from the two shows presented here. It is also very clear why this has been held back in favor of many of the other archival shows … the technical quality varies. It seems to vary during the first disc … clearly getting better. What is also true is that these shows were really good doors gigs. Fresh from his Miami bust and ban … then a decent success with “Morrison Hotel” the band seem to be looking for a new way to do things. While I think some of these later gigs do not stand up to something like the Hollywood Bowl show, the Amsterdam TV show, or “The Doors are Open” Roundhouse gigs in ’68 … it is only because the mood and attitude of the band are different. No longer playing with dramatic tension of image and audience, the band at this stage was redefining its own image and getting back to a grounding with the audience.

Obviously, if you hate the Doors, then the essential live tracks “When the Music’s Over” and “Light My Fire” will drive you mad, but as a fan these tracks almost always seem to work (even if I am a bit sick of “Light My Fire” I still know when that first snare snap will hit.) Well worth a listen.

I went to the same junior college Morrison went to: St. Petersburg Junior College and hung around those old stone buildings and the library where he must have been (they certainly weren’t very modern when I was there.) He was there in early 60s and I was there in the early 90s. In fact, I was there when the movie came out. And even though I’ve been to other schools, no school has left such a indelible image upon me. It was probably because I was dying to get the hell out of there and away. My life was on hold, much the way Morrison’s was during his time there 30 years before.

And, much like those dead Indians dying beside the road, I think Morrison’s soul leaped into my childish eggshell mind.

Well, maybe only a little. ;)

1 comment:

lee said...

In that photo jim looks a bit like he needs a trip to the loo.Though I suppose he thought he looked gorgeous at the time.